Friday, September 6, 2013

Blog Post #2 - Site Locations

As I thought about possible sites around UK's campus to consider for my culture space project, I asked myself which places are pretty much central to the community, but I'm not familiar with just yet. The Johnson Center instantly came to my mind. I'm more of a technology person, so sports haven't really been my thing. I've played several in the past, but that's about it. The facility is large with all kinds of activities going on whether it be a practice for a team or just plain exercising around the gym's track. There's always excitement waiting when the door opens.

As an alternative, I like the idea of observing the local Keenland Racetrack. I'm from Louisville, Kentucky and our city has Churchill Downs. I've only been a few times, but haven't really noticed the culture of the jockeys or just the general crowd coming to watch another horse race. Everything about the place seems like it would offer plenty of interesting things to write about.

1 comment:

  1. Both of these sites are great, Adam. I think the Johnson Center might be easier to do, as it will undoubtedly be accessible whenever you need it, whereas Keeneland might be a little bit more restricted. If you choose the Johnson Center, I think it might be a good idea to start narrowing your focus to particular group within the gym over time. You won't need to do this right away, but over the course of the first few projects. It would help to focus your research later on and give us a more particular cultural flair, as each work out group has their own specific details.

    ReplyDelete